Friday, December 3, 2010

The True Definition of a Hustler

It’s a very random topic that I have been forced to address. I was having a conversation with a person in one of my classes, and they told me that I didn’t have what it takes to be a hustler. I was baffled by this statement because obviously they don’t know where I came from. I’m sorry but just because you slinging dope and corrupting our neighborhoods doesn't make you a hustler, it makes you a disease. Anybody can be a disease. Just because you bump Lil Wayne, Webbie, Boosie and Gucci Mane in your car doesn’t make you a hustler. In fact, if you never lived in that life, you’re a poser. Being a hustler means that you have the knowledge and understanding that your life is not your own. That you have a greater purpose in life than to become a dope boy. In order to be a true hustler, you have to challenge yourself and overcome any obstacles that come your way. Being a hustler means that you are willing to get up every day to better your future and the future of those around you. It means kissing your child in the morning as you go to work cleaning bathrooms in order to put food on the table. It means having the heart to deal with the triumphs and heartaches that come with obtaining an education. A real hustler cries their selves to sleep at night because a teacher told them that they weren’t good enough to be in school and then still shows up the next day in class. A real hustler keeps moving forward when it seems their back is against the wall. A real hustler follows their dreams even when their own family doubts them. You want to know what a hustler looks like. Look at all the single mothers and fathers who work multiple jobs because they refuse to be on welfare. Look at that college student that’s working 2 part-time jobs in order to stay in school. Check out that president of ours, who keeps his cool even when Congress is threatening to block everything that he’s trying to accomplish. That’s a hustler. My family’s full of them. My older sister kept perservering even when she was met with opposition. I’m a hustler because my mother laid down the foundation and I’m laying down the groundwork so that my brother and sister’s path in life can be easier. I constantly surround myself with people that have that hustler’s mentality. I have a church member who moved to Gonzales and started a mime team to keep some young men off the streets. I have a boyfriend and friends who are willing to lay down their lives to protect this parish, this state and this country. Those are hustlers. I have class members who refused to have the “thugh life” mentality and chase higher dreams. Friends who are willing to go to law school to challenge the inequalities within our society. Associates who are deciding that they are opening up their own small business. These people are true definitions of a hustler. If you’re swimming in mud than that’s the only thing that you’re going to see. Do yourself a favor and raise your standards and expectations of yourself and those you surround yourself with. Learn the value of hardwork and dedication before you start to judge anybody’s situation. Until you do, you’re not a hustler, you’re just a statistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment